Thank god for big ol’ bowls of roasted veggies with creamy sauce. We are always greatful for those meals that are single pan and not from a box, and oh boy we have one for you today.
If you have ever eaten at a vegetarian restaurant you will most likely remember something on the menu referred to as “the hippie bowl.” It is usually a combination of roasted veggies, beans, greens and a “secret” sauce of some sort. I don’t know about you all but I don’t like “secret” recipes. I feel like all recipes should be shared and enjoyed. And this just so happens to be one of them! A giant bowl of veggies with creamy sauce is pretty much heaven on earth for us. We like to pair this meal with a glass of red wine or white wine or a cold home brew beer or a big bottle of Kombucha.
PREP TIME: 15 MINS. COOK TIME: 25 MINS. SERVES: 2-4
Pull from your garden the following:
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 small sweet potato, scrubbed clean and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 cup chunked pineapple
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup Craisins
- 1 small avocado, diced
- Add almonds if you wish
Cook up unseasoned chunks of beef, chicken, pork, or tuna for a non-vegan friend to top it off.
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 TBS white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon style mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp sriracha hot sauce (or a pinch of cayenne pepper)
- 1 TBS red pepper flakes
- 1 TBS cilantro
- 3 TBS nutritional yeast
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- In a large bowl combine the sweet potato, broccoli and chickpeas. Toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven until lightly browned on all sides (about 20 minutes). Toss veggies hallway through cooking time.
- While veggies roast cook the quinoa. Combine 1 cup of quinoa with two cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until liquid has evaporated and quinoa can easily be fluffed with a fork. About 15 minutes.
- Prepare the “hippie sauce” by combing all ingredients and processing until smooth with an immersion blender or regular blender (a hand whisk will work too, just put a LOT of muscle into it!)
- Once veggies are done roasting toss them with the cooked quinoa. Add the shredded cabbage, carrots, avocado, raisins and almonds. Drizzle with creamy sauce and serve warm.